Most powerful jutsu competition. Make sure your vote is counted for the best ninjutsu the Naruto world has to offer!
NOW UPDATED! For results click here!
Hello everyone, it’s Tenrai Senshi here with a new, fun post for you all. I decided that seeing as how it has been a long time since we last had any real competition post, such as the likes of the strongest shinobi in Konoha post featured some time ago, I thought it might be a fun idea to have a similar voting competition, only this time involving our favorite jutsu rather than our favorite characters.
The rules are pretty simple. I am going to give a fairly long list of what I think could be considered amongst the strongest or most useful ninjutsu that exist in the Naruto world, along with what I believe are each of their strengths and weaknesses. From their, you guys vote for what you believe to be the single most effective jutsu among those, carefully considering each one’s individual nuances, and the top ten will feature in a second post after the votes have been tallied.
The only restriction is that the entries being shown are limited to ninjutsu only, while genjutsu and taijutsu are off limits this time around. (Doujutsu like Amatarasu, as well as many kinjutsu, are still considered a form of ninjutsu and will be counted).
Note: Votes aren’t the only way to ensure your favorite choice gets the top spot. Debating is not only welcome, but it is encouraged as well and a convincing argument can easily push one choice above another in rank regardless of the number of votes either has. So get involved and have some fun.
Here are the jutsu I believe are worthy of mention, in no particular order. So, let us begin!
Known as the undying black flames said to come from hell itself, Amaterasu is mentioned to be one of the most powerful ninjutsu in existence. Reaching temperatures as hot as the sun and capable of consuming anything in their path, including other normal flames, it will continue burning non-stop until its victim is reduced to nothing.
– Extreme damage potential.
– Is cast directly through eyesight, meaning no hand seals or preparation is required.
– Flames will appear directly on the area that the eye focuses on, making it an extremely accurate attack that is nearly impossible to avoid.
– Almost no defense can stop it permanently.
– Amatarasu is extremely strenuous for the caster to use, consuming a large amount of chakra and even causing severe damage to the eye, which can result in permanent blindness.
– High risk of collateral damage, due to the consistent and inextinguishable nature of the flames, which will burn for seven days and nights, non-stop, regardless of environmental conditions.
– Can be avoided by effectively obscuring or blocking the user’s line of site.
Named after the easily recognizable sound it makes while active, Chidori focuses a large amount of lightning-natured chakra into the tip of the users hand, which can then be delivered with an extremely fast, close-ranged, thrusting attack for a massive amounts of damage. The nickname ‘Raikiri’ or ‘lightning blade’ comes from the legend that user Hatake Kakashi was even able to cut a lightning bolt in half using the technique.
– A very fast, powerful and concentrated attack that can penetrate most defenses quite effectively and cause tremendous damage to the target.
– Can be changed to suit different circumstances through varying forms of shape manipulation, making it very versatile in the hands of an expert user.
– The high speed at which the technique is used and the complete absence of collateral damage when used correctly, makes it a very effective, single kill, assassination technique.
– A significantly short-ranged technique that requires the user to close any distance between them and their target as quickly as possible, making it unsuitable for long ranged battles where the target is unreachable.
– Requires the Sharingan to use effectively, due to the extreme speed used while performing the technique and subsequent tunnel vision incurred, which allows for easy counterattacks.
By invoking the powers of the Shinigami, or Death God, the user can seal their victim’s soul away permanently, resulting in their death regardless of any exceptional physical conditions, such as immortality or an extreme healing factor. However, as a result, the user’s own soul is consumed as well, resulting in a similarly shared fate.
– Because the technique affects the opponent’s soul, and not their physical body, there is no known physical defense that can protect against the Shiki Fuujin.
– If the technique manages to hit its target, their death is almost guaranteed, unless the user lacks the physical strength to maintain the jutsu effectively during extraction.
– Can be used to seal even the most powerful of opponent’s souls away, with only one notable exception so far being the Kyuubi, whose chakra had to be divided in half to seal effectively. However, this was more a limitation of the human body’s ability to contain all of the Bijuu’s chakra rather than any actual limit with regards to the Shiki Fuujin itself.
– The user will die along with their victim regardless of the success or failure of this technique, meaning that it is, essentially, a ‘last resort’ suicide technique.
– Can only be used by non-jinchuuriki.
An original technique created by the Fourth Hokage, Namikaze Minato, the Hiraishin is a space time jutsu that allows the user to instantly teleport over vast distances in the blink of an eye, using a special seal formula or kunai to mark the destined location.
– The technique allows the user to immediately change location in an instant, making it perfect for direct attacks, evasion, reconnaissance or even as an quick escape option.
– Can be used to mark an opponent’s body, allowing the user to appear at their location at any time, regardless of distance, making it useful for tracking purposes and assassinations as well.
– The user can teleport him/herself or anyone/anything else they are touching with the technique, regardless of size or mass, as shown when Minato was even managed to teleport the Kyuubi some many miles away.
– Due to the fact that, theoretically, any location can be marked for teleportation, the Hiraishin can also be used to set up traps in advanced, or to travel long distances to previously marked locations with ease, making it a very versatile and useful jutsu with a wide variety of applications.
– A unique seal formula must be used to mark the location that the user wishes to teleport to, making the technique heavily reliant on special kunai designed specifically for that purpose.
– The user cannot travel to a location that has not been previously marked, limiting the practicality and scope of this jutsu significantly.
A very powerful, A-rank ninjutsu originally created by the Fourth Hokage, Namikaze Minato, that is formed by focusing a large amount of spinning, concentrated chakra into the palm of the user’s hand, which is then delivered with a sweeping attack for varying amounts of damage, from as little as a concussive blow to disable the opponent, to an earth shattering impact that will tear the target asunder.
– Size of the sphere can be changed to reduce or increase the amount of range and power the technique has, making it very versatile.
– A highly concentrated technique, much like the Chidori, it can effectively penetrate just about any defense with a highly focused attack.
– The Rasengan can be used many times in succession despite its high power output, with little noticeable respite to the user, compared to other techniques of its level.
– No hand seals are required.
– It is very difficult to master, taking up to many years to fine tune the chakra control needed to use this technique effectively. To this day, Naruto still uses a shadow clone to help him create the Rasengan due to the high difficulty of learning.
– Much like the Chidori, it is a very close ranged technique that requires a direct hit to be effective. In a long ranged battle against an opponent that is out of reach, its usefulness is severely dampened.
A forbidden technique first used by Tobirama Senju and then later by one of the three legendary Sannin, Orochimaru, as well as his apprentice Yakushi Kabuto, Edo Tensei allows the user to resurrect the souls of those who have died by using a sacrificial body as a host vessel. Once summoned, the resurrected individual will assume their original form as they existed in life, including the retention of their memories, personality, abilities and even any Kekkei Genkai they may have possessed.
– Allows the user to summon powerful allies to the battlefield to fight alongside them, the likes of which can even include deceased Kage level shinobi, effectively turning the tide of any battle in their favor and giving them a more diverse spectrum of abilities at their disposal.
– Resurrected souls are immortal and can regenerate any damage sustained near instantaneously, meaning they cannot be ‘killed’ by normal or physical means. The only way to end the jutsu is to remove the soul of the resurrected individual from their vessel, or to, theoretically, kill the user controlling them.
– The amount of resurrected individuals that can be summoned at any given time is limited by the amount of sacrifices used, making this a very costly technique (in human lives) to perform, despite its very high power potential.
– A special tag must be inserted into the resurrected individual’s body for the user to maintain full control, otherwise they will retain their free will.
Usable only by pure-blooded Uchiha who have mastered the use of the Mangekyou Sharingan in both eyes, Susanoo encases the user in a powerful, protective shell in the form of a spiritual avatar. Once active, the form of Susanoo will defend the user from any and all attacks, physical or otherwise, as well as provide its host with new and highly destructive forms of attack.
– Provides the user with a near-impenetrable defense that can deflect attacks of exceptional magnitude, including the likes of S-ranked jutsu such as Kirin.
– Susanoo provides the user with multiple new forms of offensive abilities, including mythical weapons of great power which seem to vary from one user to the next.
– Susanoo can move with its user, and has shown quite a lot of versatility when doing so. It can also be used in partial forms for quick attacks or defenses, making it a very practical technique in any battle situation.
– Susanoo appears to cause the user a severe amount of agony while active and is very taxing on their stamina and chakra levels, making prolonged use very detrimental.
– Much like other Mangekyou Sharingan techniques, the use of Susanoo causes severe damage to the user’s eyes and can eventually result in permanent blindness.
An original technique created by Uchiha Sasuke following his mastery of Chidori, Kirin allows its user to harness the power of nature itself, by drawing out an arc of lightning from an overhead thunder storm in the form of a massive dragon, in order to strike at their foes for devastating effect.
– Because the user is drawing lightning directly from the static electricity found inside a living thunderstorm, no chakra is needed to actually form Kirin, meaning that the only chakra needed for the technique, is for the purposes of controlling and directing the mass of lightning to suit the user’s will.
– The speed at which the technique hits its target is akin to that of a natural lightning strike, meaning that Kirin is virtually impossible to avoid.
– Massive damage area and long attack range.
– Because Kirin uses lightning from a thunderstorm itself, it cannot be performed if weather conditions do not meet its requirements, meaning that the user would have to try and replicate those weather conditions through other means. This makes Kirin a very situational ability.
– Kirin is a one shot ability that takes a lot of time to prepare, which means that if the technique fails to destroy its target, it cannot be performed again in the same battle, unless the necessary conditions are recreated once more.
A jutsu only ever seen being used by the Rinnegan wielding Nagato and his alternate persona, Pein, Shinra Tensei allows its user to push any matter within a certain radius around themselves outwards and away from them, using powerful gravitational forces, with their own bodies acting as the epicenter for the effect.
– The strength of Shinra Tensei can be increased or decreased for varying effects, from as little as a small push to move objects gently away, to a devastating shock wave that can level an entire area a few miles across.
– It can repel even the highest level jutsu, making it equally suitable for both offensive and defensive purposes.
– No hand seals are required and the jutsu can be performed without any body movement from the user whatsoever.
– Only a five second minimum recharge window.
– The more strength used up to perform Shinra Tensei, the higher the recharge time incurred will be, which will leave the user highly vulnerable to a counter-attack.
– High risk of collateral damage.
*Note: I didn’t make the five second recharge window a weakness, because I don’t believe that it is a weakness at all. After all, most techniques take a few seconds just to cast, much less recharge, so it is actually an advantage to have such a high level technique that can be cast so often, so quickly.
An original technique created by Uzumaki Naruto during his chakra nature training with his sensei, Hatake Kakashi, Rasenshuriken is an evolved and completed form of the Fourth Hokage’s original Rasengan, whereby wind-natured chakra is added to the techniques effect, tremendously increasing its damage, range and overall power.
– Massive damage potential.
– The technique can be thrown, under the right conditions, making it suitable for long ranged combat.
– Because the damage inflicted by Rasenshuriken is done so at a microscopic level, there is little the victim would be able to do to defend themselves from the attack.
– Even if the victim survives the attack, their entire chakra network will be completely destroyed on a cellular level, making any further chance of battling, or even movement, virtually impossible. It is also theoretically impossible to heal said damage.
– The jutsu can be just as harmful to the user as it is to the enemy, if delivered at point blank range through a physical attack, meaning that throwing the technique is the only safe way to use it without risk.
– The dense, rotating mass of chakra is impossible to throw without a great deal of control and power, making the use of Sage mode, or a similar state, necessary to throw the technique effectively. This means that Rasenshuriken is essentially an incomplete technique without the use of those conditions, much like Chidori is incomplete without the Sharingan.
A powerful Mangekyou Sharingan technique unique to Hatake Kakashi, Kamui allows the user to focus their gaze on a specific and concentrated area in order to create a rift at that location, which will absorb anything caught within it into another dimension.
– Much like Amatarasu, Kamui is aimed by focusing one’s gaze upon the desired target area, meaning that it is near impossible to avoid by normal means, while hand seals are also unnecessary for activation.
– Kamui can absorb anything it comes into contact with, including other jutsu, making it equally suitable for attack and defense and very difficult to protect against.
– A concentrated attack with little risk of collateral damage.
– Despite being cast through eyesight, Kamui is a very difficult technique to learn to aim with properly, compared to other similarly cast doujutsu.
– Massive chakra drain.
– Like all other Mangekyou Sharingan techniques, Kamui causes damage to the eye that can result in permanent blindness.
A technique that is suggested to have been used by The Sage of the Six Paths to create the moon itself, Chibaku Tensei is an immensely powerful jutsu that allows the user to release a small, overwhelmingly dense black sphere that travels far up into the sky, where its gravitational forces then attract all matter within a large radius up towards it before compressing it into a tightly compacted sphere, leaving the entire surroundings completely devastated, while the earth itself is torn apart from the effect.
– Massive damage area, spanning many miles across.
– Once caught in the gravitational force of the jutsu, it is virtually impossible for the victim to escape.
– Creating your own moon is a fun pastime.
– The ridiculously high chakra consumption needed to maintain this technique makes it impractical to use in most battle situations.
– Excessive collateral damage.
– What goes up, must come down…
A forbidden technique and signature trademark of Uzumaki Naruto, the Kage Bunshin no Jutsu allows the user to replicate their own body multiple times, creating identical clones that share all the original user’s characteristics, including appearance, memory, personality, fighting style, chakra and even the jutsu they are able to use.
– Because the clones created have real bodies, even down to their chakra networks, it is impossible for the opponent to differentiate between the real user and his replicates, even with doujutsu such as the Byuakugan or Sharingan.
– Kage Bunshins can use any jutsu or fighting technique that the original body can, including any effects granted by kekkei genkai, making this a very powerful and effective way to multiply one’s own effectiveness in battle or under any other conditions.
– Any experience or knowledge gained by a Kage Bunshin will be transferred to the original user’s memories once they are dispelled, making this jutsu invaluable for reconnaissance or training as well as an endless amount of other possible applications.
– Because the user’s chakra is split evenly between each body he creates, this technique has a very high stamina drain, making it less practical for those who don’t have massive chakra reserves at their disposal.
– Although knowledge and experience gained by the clones is transferred to the original user when they are dispelled, any fatigue suffered, mental or physical, will also be accumulated as well.
Well, there you have it people.
Those are what I consider to be the best jutsu in the Narutoverse that we know of so far. However, there were a few that just missed the list, mostly because there wasn’t enough information about them to make an accurate assessment of their full potential. (One such jutsu would be Tobi’s unnamed space-time jutsu.)
However, if you feel that you know a jutsu that I may have missed, which you believe deserves to be on this list, please mention it in your comments and vote for the option “other” in the upcoming poll. If enough people agree with your choice, or if you make a convincing enough case, your choice may make it into the top ten.
Also, please remember that you are voting for the best overall jutsu, not just the one with the most powerful or damaging effect. So, for example, although Chibaku Tensei clearly does more damage than a Rasengan overall, it also has severe handicaps that the Rasengan may not, such as its extremely high chakra consumption, which means it can be used less often, etc. Weigh up the pros and cons to each jutsu according to your own view of each and then vote for the one you believe is the most effective overall. Or better yet, give a list of your own top ten in the comments and why you believe they deserve their places.
Good luck everyone!